Home >> Carr >>
Celebratory or souvenir cards or sheets designed by J.L. Carr
These were illustrated cards or sheets that Carr designed, drew and published, some of which he called
longsheets. Several of them were published to celebrate churches, one of Carr's interests, and were sold by the church to raise funds. JLC was Honorary Secretary of Northamptonshire Historic Churches Trust and wrote a Foreword for a book published by the Redundant Churches Fund called Churches in Retirement.
The first list below is taken from the History of the QTP and reconciled with the title of sheets that have been seen. The peultimate item may be the same as the fifth.
Carr also published cards to advertise his maps. None have been seen.
The sheet to celebrate the church at Higham Ferrers (click to enlarge)
- A commemoration of Queen Elizabeth’s visit, July 9th, 1965; Northamptonshire steeples and spires (1965).
- Northamptonshire. This may be the same as Carr's first map of Northamptonshire, issued as a longsheet in 1965. It was reproduced in an issue of The Northants Campaigner in the Spring of 1966 where it was advertised for the price of 6d.
- Northamptonshire's Baptismal Fonts (1966).
- A commemoration of the Battle of Hastings fought October 1066 on Senlac Ridge; or Norman Northamptonshire (1966).
- The Church of the Blessed Virgin Mary, Higham Ferrers (1969).
- Commemoration of the building of Earls Barton church tower in 970 AD (c 1970).
- Pictorial Guide to Peterborough Cathedral (c 1972).
- The 250th anniversary of the ordination of Philip Doddridge at Castle Hill Chapel, March 19 1730 (1979).
- Forefathers, a poem by Edmund Blunden (1980).
- The One Thousandth Anniversary of Brixworth Church (date unknown and not seen).
- Pictorial Guide to St Mary's Church, the Chichele School and the Bede House at Highham Ferrers (date unknown).
- Pictorial card of Beadle County (recorded in collection of Pierpont Morgan Library, New York, MA 4439.3)
Carr also reported in the History of the QTP that he had published County Map Souvenir Cards of:
None have been seen.