Home >> Gooden >>

Designs for arms and devices by Stephen Gooden

This page shows some of the coats of arms or devices that were designed and engraved on copper by Stephen Gooden, shown below in chronological order.

A1: The British Council

Date: 1941

Plate size: 125 x 100 mm

Notes: In 1934 the British Council for Relations with Other Countries was established to promote British culture abroad, a name that was shortened to British Council in 1936. In 1940 it was granted a Royal Charter, and in 1941 gained a coat of arms and this bookplate.

Is there a penis sticking out of the groin of the lion on the right or am I imagining it?.

Image of bookplate

(Early state; click to enlarge)

Image of bookplate

(Final state; click to enlarge)

A2: Institution of Mechanical Engineers

Date: 1947

Plate size: 175 x 125 mm

Paper size: 278 x 298 mm

State: 1 of 2

Campbell Dodgson (1944): after 1944

Notes: This is the coat of arms of the Institution of Mechanical Engineers, granted in 1939. It shows: a horse chained to a globe, signifying controlled power dominating the world; a coronet around the horse’s neck, signifying a chartered body; Archimedes, to the left of the shield, symbolising science; Vulcan, to the right of the shield, symbolising craftsmanship; the callipers on the shield, signify the act of measurement and the accuracy of workmanship; and the word ‘Progress’ beneath the shield has been used by the Institution at different times since it was founded. It may have been designed for the History of the Institution, published in 1947 to mark its centenary.

This is the first state of the design. In the second state both feet of the horse are on the globe, presumably better to indicate controlled power.

The first state of this engraving was submitted by Gooden to the Royal Academy as his Diploma Work.

Image of bookplate

D9: The Griffin Club, Amersham

Date: 1947

Plate size: 120 x 75 mm

Paper size: 217 x 2145 mm

States: One

Campbell Dodgson (1944): after 1944

Notes: This was designed for a local mutual club in Amersham, the town where Stephen Gooden lived from about 1938. The Club had been founded on 4th April 1791, hence the numbers on the shield. The device was printed in the rule book of the club printed in about 1948.

Image of bookplate